Sunday, April 15, 2012

The hand is coming back

Or so says celebrity chef, Mario Batali, in a well-written call-to-arms article in Lucky Peach. He's referring to the return to American craftsmanship, where we actually make things with our hands... take pride in cooking a fantastically delicious meal, transplanting seedlings or building your own bookshelf, buying stuff from someone you actually know, learning how to fix things, using your fingers for more than just tapping away at the qwerty keyboard.


I used to think it was weird that I didn't have any "hobbies" to speak of, and when someone asked I would say, "I cook." But now that I can look at it as my opportunity to dabble in the artisan world, I feel even more inspired to be adventurous with my ingredients and taste combinations.


We have a lot of friends and acquaintances who do amazing work with their hands. Some of them have "gotten out of the corporate world" and are getting down and dirty by starting their own businesses, working in forgotten fields, renovating their houses, building green roofs, making music and art. I think more handy-work is just what this country needs. It not only creates work opportunities, it restores a sense of purpose.

And that's what we're all about... re-purposing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment